Sunday, November 30, 2008

13. Love: Anakin and Padme


I have already written on the "imperfect" nature of romantic love and its possible inhibition to the discovery of pure love. But I was watching Star Wars so allow me to use an analogy. Consider Anakin and Padme. Anakin is training to be a Jedi. The Jedi love. They operate on an all-loving level that objectifies all their actions. Their love is unconditional to all, even their enemies. The Jedi represents "Moral Man" and their love represents the "Love of Moral Man".

Padme represents the very human level of romantic love. Where happiness is only accessible when exclusivity and reciprocity is achieved as conditions.

With romantic love, conditions set in. And with contingency, comes fear. When we act so as to escape pain and fear, we are not allowing ourselves to think. We act first and then use thinking to justify our actions when we should be thinking, considering and then acting upon our best choice.

Romantic love then traps Anakin and prevents him from ascending towards the free state of the Jedi.

And a slightly disturbing reality that I just realized is that so long as I never engage with someone in romantic love who loves on the "Moral Man" level, I will always be the one who will be hurt. But this is the prize and burden that I have to bear at my level of understanding. And I rightfully bear it. As Tenzeeng said it, "We cannot expect anything back from them, we can only make them happy as it is our calling (for lack of a better word)."

Since I am of this understanding, I should have the ethical responsibility and moral bravery to perpetuate love as a force for humanity. So I will be brave.

No comments: