Saturday, October 4, 2008

Nishida Kitaro


I have never touched Japanese philosophy before. But I have always wanted to. So this was a very lucky and so far has been a very enlightening discovery.

And I know that I was halfway through "The Wretched of the Earth" but I will be back to that shortly.

Now Nishida Kitaro is one of the three leading philosophers of the Kyoto school, philosophers of Nothingness. How does this then relate to my theory of "Moral Man", you ask?

Well, I think I have found the mental key to enabling "Free agents" but of course I need to read more and think more. But this is what I have so far.....


"Reality is One, it has one single principal that makes it one. It is not a static unity but unfolds in Time.

The unity is refracted in a plurality of items that are transient and interrelated.

The cutting edge of the unity is human consciousness, or as fully conscious that a human can be.

It is to achieve a unity that mirrors the ultimate principle of reality and mirrors it from within the dynamic unfolding process itself.

His goal was to overstep the subject-object distinction built into our language of experience.

And talk of experience as pure and direct itself. It must be pure empiricum, without data or meaning of any kind.

It is then a strategy of rephrasing philosophical questions.

Pure experience would be of no prejudice, no judgment, no deliberation and no intention.

This contrasts itself with Knowledge since all knowledge requires an express distinction between the thing and one's own self.

"A "self-awareness" that the knower has transcended the subject-object world..the only way to confirm such an intuition was to achieve it oneself."

No comments: