Saturday, April 17, 2010

2. My name was Muon

As Einstein put it, "time and space are modes by which we think and not conditions in which we live." Goethe too said, "it is optical illusion but optical truth." But yet, it was always simpler and more mentally convenient for your kind to believe and plan and judge and act based on your perceived reality.

I said these exact two sentences to her as I awaited her response. "But it is all so implausible and utterly mind-boggling," she stammered as she found her thoughts. "Is it so hard to grasp that all that we see and think we know is unreal? The Hindus speak of this as Maya. Look, it is just a simulacrum effect. Mathematical constructs are abstract representations of the real. We can't possibly have no correlates of knowing or perceiving the real," I answered coaxingly. "But all is that we see. Or rather all is that I know, I think. See? Now you are casting doubt on all that I know and this is edgy stuff," she then took a sip of her Mocha frappucino. Looking at the water particles edge their way down the sides of the frozen surface, I gathered my thoughts and plunged in once again, "Light is all that we know and base our perceived reality upon. We know that nothing is faster than light but yet we know that light has a definite speed. By that logic, there could be something faster than light."

I remembered walking home in my heavy suit and tried to place myself in the three impossibly unified levels of reality. Where would I be? In the limited perceived reality of the homosapiens? In the upper limits of their scientific philosophies- general relativity? Or in the lower limits of matter and processes- Quantum mechanics? And I remembered smiling because I realized that it did not matter which level of reality I could conveniently categorize myself into as my love for her transcended all and was independent of all.

No comments: